Monday 18 May 2009

What mobile phone should I get?

What mobile phone should I get?

I am about to get a new mobile phone and have done a lot of research and thought I'd share what I have found with you!

After sifting through the internet, I came up with 3 main contenders:
• Samsung Omnia HD (i8910)
Nokia N97
• Sony Ericsson Idou

Samsung pros:
-600 MHz processor
-8 Mega pixel camera
-XVid and DivX support
-AMOLED HD Captive touch screen 360X640
-HSDPA 7.2 Mbps (faster surfing)
-24 fps HD(1280 x 720p) Video recording
-HDMI out (via dongle)
-3.5 mm headphone jack
-Great battery life
-5.1 surround sound
-Supports HSDPA downloads of up to 7.2 Mbps, and HSUPA uploads at up to 5.76 Mbp
-

Samsung Cons:
-No TV out
-Call quality not that good
-Single LED flash
-Available in 8GB and 16 GB

------------------------------------------------------
Nokia N97 pros
-Full Qwerty Keyboard
-TV out cable
-TFT Resistive touch screen 360X480
-Great call quality
-3.5 mm headphone jack
-Great battery life
-Dual LED Flash
-32 GB memory as standard

Nokia N97 cons
-Only 5 Mpeg Camera
-Touch screen not responsive
-Only 400mhz Processor
-No XVid or DivX support
-

-----------------------------------------

Sony Ericsson Idou Pros.
-12 Mpeg Camera
-Xenon flash
-rumoured to have 800mhz or maybe even 1ghz processor speed.

Sony Ericsson Idou Cons.
-No XVid and DivX support
-No 3.5 mm headphone jack
-Poor battery life

Summary

As far as I am concerned, apart from the 12 Mega Pixel camera and the Xenon flash, the Sony Ericsson is a very poor phone and is out of the running. I cannot believe that they have not included a standard headphone jack. This leaves the Nokia N97 and the Samsung Omnia HD.

The Nokia is a good device; before I saw the Samsung Omnia HD I had my heart set on getting one. However, compared to the Samsung Omnia HD it looks rather cheap and plasticy and form the You Tube demo videos that I have seen, the Operating System (OS) is very sluggish (I believe this is due to the 400 MHz processor). The camera on the Nokia N97 is the same as that was used on the N95 don’t get me wrong it’s a good camera which is capable of recording DVD quality video, but I was expecting more. The slide out full Qwerty keyboard is a good touch, but with a screen of this size, it’d be easier to include a soft keyboard. And finally the touch screen is resistive rather then captive which takes a lot of getting used to.

This leaves the Samsung Omnia HD which I have decided is the phone for me for the following reasons:
- AMOLED HD Captive touch screen 360X640
- Very Responsive OS
- DivX and XVid support
- 5.1 surround sound
- 8 Mega pixel camera
- 24 fps HD(1280 x 720p) Video recording
- 3.5 mm headphone jack
- Great battery life
This is a hugely impressive device, Samsung have successfully challenged Nokia, Sonny Erickson and Apple (I Phone) on their own turf with an exceptional smart phone (pity about the call quality). The Samsung Omnia HD should be available in the UK by the end of June, there is no release date the US or Europe as yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment